OFFRE D'EMPLOI OMS - Medical Officer IVD Team Leader - (1905017)
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract duration: 1 year renewable
Posting Date Oct 28, 2019, 12:35:41 PM
Closing Date Nov 17, 2019, 10:59:00 PM
Primary Location Congo, The Democratic Republic of the-Kinshasa
Organization AF_COD Democratic Republic of Congo
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
To develop national skills in implementing routine and supplemental immunisation and establish an effective disease surveillance system in view of polio eradication, neonatal tetanus elimination and measles elimination
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
1. Develop and reinforce national surveillance system for AFP/EPI, monitor the completeness and effectiveness of reporting and the use of surveillance performance indicators at the district level;2. Provide information on the progress of the Polio Eradication Initiative and other EPI-related activities to the Regional Advisor VPD/AFRO including:Monthly AFP line list and aggregated surveillance data on measles and neonatal tetanus in the country;Annual incidence of EPI target diseases in the country and routine coverage achieved;Data on supplementary immunization activities carried out in the country; 3. Assist the national authorities in the preparation of quality NIDs and other supplementary immunization activities for disease control; 4. Initiate evaluation of country programmes and assist national authorities to develop national plans of action in relation to requirements of the EPI disease control goals. Review country level surveillance and identify the need for changes in national strategies;5. Organize and conduct training activities and inter-country meetings to exchange experience within the region. 6. Provide supervisory role for all country IVD staff under his responsibility, including performance evaluations.7. Any other duties assigned by the WHO RepresentativeAchievement Activities Include: Attainment of AFP and accelerated disease control surveillance indicatorsTechnical assistance for routine EPI strengthening Effective management of IVD staff
Essential: Advanced University degree in medicine or doctorate in health sciences.
Desirable: Post graduate training in public health or epidemiology from an internationally recognized school.
Essential: At least 10 years public health experience of which two years field experience in planning, training, surveillance and implementation of EPI.
Desirable: Technical expertise in public health, epidemiology, disease control and immunization. Experience in Africa would be an asset.
Ability to work effectively with colleagues at national and international levels;Ability to provide leadership, monitor progress and design studies;Computer skills.
Ensuring the effective use of resources
Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Driving the Organization's Position in Health Leadership
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of French.
Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of English.
The above language requirements are interchangeable.
WHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars. The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 87,108 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 3092 per month for the duty station indicated above. Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s) /certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: www.whed.net. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- WHO has a mobility policy which can be found at the following link: www.who.int/employment/en/. Candidates appointed to an international post with
- WHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.